Tuesday 3 May 2011

Running on Empty in the US of A

Distance: 6.91km/4.29 miles
Time:       38:12 secs
Calories:  535

What? You didn't think that this running obsession ended with the London Marathon, did you? 

After completing previous races, be they 10k or half marathons, I always intended to carry on running but never really managed to do so. This time round I was determined not to let the fitness and enthusiasm that had built up over 17 weeks of training go to waste, hence I find myself on a week's holiday in Florida heading out for a run on the first morning of the break.

My first post-marathon run takes place nearly a week after the marathon. Normally, this kind of break from running would make me feel guilty, but I wouldn't have been able to run for the first few days - just walking down stairs proved challenging enough - and by the time I felt able to pull on my running shoes again we were on the plane. Most of the runs I've been on this year have been done in London, so it's a nice change to find myself jogging down a pristine beach early in the morning trying to avoid waves as they lap at the beach.

I always intended for this first run to be relatively short and this seems like a sensible option given the weather. Even at this time of the day it's punishingly hot. It was a sunny London day when I ran the marathon, but the heat really didn't bother me that day. Over here it's a different story, I couldn't even contemplate running for anything like 26.2 miles. At the end of this run - some 22 miles shorter than my last one - the sweat is literally pouring off of me and I suspect the number of calories that Run Keeper calculates have been burnt is something of an underestimate.

No comments:

Post a Comment