Thursday 27 January 2011

Alarm clock Britain

Day:        39
Distance: 9.07km
Time:       51:29 secs
Calories:  701

It's 6am. Yes, that's right A.M. As in Ante Mendiem. My wife wasn't even aware there was a 6am, yet here I am up and ready to go for a pre-work 50 minute run. Oh, and my legs, shoulders and pecs are still aching from Tuesday's interval training. Brilliant.

Not only am I up before the sun today, but it would also appear that I'm up before most living souls. I don't think I passed more than 10 people during the entire run and two of those were fellow runners. So, why am I putting myself through this? Well the simple explanation is that the training plan demands that I fit a run in today and as I'm going to see the rather wonderful Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain tonight it had to be before work.

Despite the very early start and the growing collection of aches and pains once I started running I was absolutely fine and enjoyed being up and about before most people. I had wondered whether the aches would mean I'd need to curtail this run, but once I was in the 'zone' (helped along initially by Blur's "Parklife") any thoughts of turning back were forgotten.

The training plan actually called for a 60 minute run to include 6 x 1 minute hill climbs with a jog back down to recover. However, the route I took didn't have the requisite number of hills, so that part of the plan was largely ignored. As I ran a pretty similar route to the one I took last Friday (without the end loop), there was one significant hill on Lordship Lane in East Dulwich and, upon reaching the hill, I decided that I'd pick up the pace for that part of the run. I didn't job back down it afterwards as a) that would have looked weird and b) I'd have been going the wrong way to get home.

Speaking of which, by the time I arrived back at the flat the sun still hadn't risen and the aches in my muscles had returned with a vengeance, but I was filled with a real sense of achievement at completing more than 9km before breakfast on a very cold January morning.

As a parting note and for those of you unaware of the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain I'll leave you with their cover of Baccara's "Yes, sir I can boogie", which I'm hoping they play tonight. In case you're wondering, no this 70s disco classic isn't on my running playlist. Typically, my views on Disco are in tune with Homer Simpson's (who famously sported a "Disco Sucks" bumper sticker on his car) but as it's the Ukes I'll let it slide.

No comments:

Post a Comment