Saturday 1 January 2011

The last run of 2010

Day:        12
Distance: 6.86 km
Time:       36:46

New Year's Eve began with a short run using the Fartlek method. Fartlek may sound like a piece of Ikea furniture, but in actual fact it's a form of training which is similar to interval training in that slow jogging/running alternates with short fast runs. My training plan called for a 35 minute run consisting of 5 sets of 2 mins x 'easy' + 5 mins x 'fast'.

I don't look forward to these runs at all as the fartlek method is incredibly draining. The balance between slow and fast never seems particularly fair as I spend the 2 minutes of slow jogging both recovering and dreading the impending 5 minutes of fast running. That said, I do think that this method is very good for getting quicker and building up stamina so I reluctantly follow the training plan.

The interesting thing on these runs is that the 'fast' tempo gets progressively slower across the 5 sets. The contrast between the slow and fast runs is really pronounced first time round as I accelerate out of the initial 2 minutes to pound the pavements for 5 minutes. By the fifth set I'm not sure whether there's any discernible difference between the two tempos.

Aside from the fartlek method, the other crucial element in my marathon training is my running playlist which I've been compiling for some time now. As this was my first solo run for a little while it gave me a good opportunity to try out the new songs I've added to my running playlist. I'm pleased to report that both "Suffragette City" (David Bowie) and "Thou Shalt Always Kill" (Dan le Sac Vs. Scroobius Pip) are both excellent additions. The playlist is now around 4.5 hours in length, which *should* be plenty for the actual day, but to be on the safe side I want to get up to 5 hours so I'll continue to hunt around for songs that will fire me up on the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment