Monday 24 January 2011

Take it easy

Day:        36
Distance: 6.37km
Time:       38:46 secs
Calories:  490

After running just shy of 20km yesterday I decided to follow the training plan's advice and take it easy tonight. The slight problem with doing this is that my running playlist consists mainly of up tempo guitar music that is on there to fire me up and get me running quicker. There's not a whole lot of slower numbers on there to help set the right pace for tonight's run. For a lot of the run I found myself willing the music to slow down somehow. Obviously, I didn't always have too much joy in that endeavour - even if it was possible would you want the Ramones to slow "Blitzkrieg Bop" down? (note: the correct answer to that question is an emphatic 'no').

My training plan calls for an 'easy' run at the start of each week. Up until this point I haven't really seen the need to take it that easy, but now I'm undertaking 20km+ each Sunday I think I'm going to have a few more Monday runs like this where an easy run helps me to recover from a longer run. With this in mind, I should probably consider putting together a playlist consisting of songs with fewer bpm. The problem is that I'm genuinely scratching my head as to what I can put on there - Dylan? Laura Marling? Why do I automatically think of folk-tinged music made with acoustic guitars? As with the main running playlist, I'd love to hear any suggestions of songs to set a slow, but steady pace.

On a final note, I've decided to start fundraising for Diabetes UK. I didn't want to start shaking people down for sponsorship until this point as a) it would have been ridiculously early and b) people aren't exactly flush in January. As it's now less than three months until the big day and pay cheques will shortly be finding their way into people's accounts it now feels like the right time to pass round the electronic begging bowl. If you'd like to sponsor me please visit my JustGiving site - all donations will be gratefully received!

No comments:

Post a Comment