Tuesday 25 January 2011

This is Hardcore

Day:        37
Distance: Not all that far
Time:       40 mins
Calories:  Loads ... I hope

When I met up with Big Dave at the weekend he suggested that we go for a spot of interval training at his gym in Canary Wharf. I'm keen to mix up my training, so readily agreed to join him for this 40 minute class.

If you're unfamiliar with interval training the best way to think of it is as a legalised form of torture. At different points I felt dizzy or nauseous and at one particularly memorable stage I felt as though I was going to throw up. 

Having completed five weeks of marathon training I thought that I was pretty fit, unfortunately 'pretty fit' doesn't quite prepare you for the relentless onslaught of interval training. At the most basic level, interval training consists of high intensity bursts of speed followed by low intensity recovery periods - essentially an even more hardcore fartlek training session ... 

It starts with some fairly light exercises (a few squat thrusts, press ups etc.) and a low intensity run round the 5-a-side pitch we were training on, after that the sadist (or 'trainer' as he liked to style himself) introduced some high intensity shuttle runs with a small amount of recovery time between each set. The high intensity runs are followed by some more exercises (e.g. 20 press ups + 10 squat jumps) before the running and sprinting makes an unwelcome return.

I have never known 40 minutes to go by so slowly. Within 5 minutes I was red faced and sweating uncontrollably, 10 minutes in I was about ready to faint, at the 20 minute mark I was willing the clock to pick up speed and by the time 30 minutes had passed my legs had turned to jelly and I was unable to do the exercises properly (though I did manage all the runs). The session was brought to a welcome conclusion with a few stretches and a handshake from our tormentor.

Now, it might seem from this description that I didn't enjoy this session but I think Big Dave summed it up perfectly when he declared that it's something that you enjoy and appreciate in retrospect, but not at the time. You know that all of that effort must have done you some good and, having done a little reading on the subject, I can tell you that interval training can result in improved performance, greater speed and endurance. While I won't be taking an Interval Training class every week I do plan to fit more of these sessions into my training. Who knows, next time I might just feel dizzy and nauseous - now that would be progress.

4 comments:

  1. I particularly liked your comment mid-way through, "wasn't this banned under the Geneva convention?" That was a tough session!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dammit. I meant to include that comment in this post.

    I'm seriously aching today, but well up for future sessions. Every couple of weeks should do us the world of good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm skiing in two weeks, Think you can pencil in the 15th Feb for a follow up session?

    ReplyDelete