Friday 8 April 2011

The Acid Test

Day:         104
Distance: 21.59km/13.42 miles
Time:       1:53:07 secs
Calories:  1,883

It's now a week since I hurt my knee. In that time I've been to the physio, been reassured by the physio, done my stretches and been out on three increasingly long runs. Everything up until this point has gone well, but the real test is undertaking a long run. When I've had problems with my knee it seemed to occur at or around the 10 mile mark, so a 13 mile run should give a good indication of whether or not I'm going to be able to run the London Marathon on April 17th.

Well, I won't hold you in suspense.

The run went really well, there was no pain or discomfort in my left knee* and I also managed a decent pace of 8:26 mins/mile. That's a tiny bit slower than what I would need to run to achieve my goal of 3:30 mins, but I'm just so relieved that these 13 miles passed off uneventfully that I'm not going to beat myself up over my pace.

Over the course of the last week I've gone from the lowest point in my marathon training to one of the many high points I've experienced over the last 104 days and, so, to celebrate I thought I'd share another song from the running playlist. Every time this song comes on it puts a smile on my face and some more fuel in my muscles. It also seems to suit the beautiful weather that we're enjoying in London at the moment. I couldn't find a great video for the song, but it doesn't matter when the material's as good as this.




* It should be noted that there was some pain in my right knee though. I don't know if this is because I've been over-compensating on the left side or not (or maybe it's just old age), but I've started doing the physio's stretches on that side as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment