Friday 15 April 2011

On the home straight

Day:         116
Distance: 6.31km/3.92 miles
Time:       29:35 secs
Calories:  517

So, according to the Runner's World guide this run should be "3 miles 6 x 100 s". I have no difficulty understanding the first part, but the second part means nothing to me. After checking the key I can see that this means I should cover 3 miles in total and, within that distance, I should do 6 lots of "gradual, smooth accelerations over 100 metres ... then just as gradually decelerating". OK, so a little bit of speed work - why didn't they just say so?

I follow the same route as for the earlier run from this week and build 2 of these "gradual, smooth accelerations" into each of the 10 minute segments of the run. It's not exactly taxing, but it does feel good to be out running. It feels even better to do so with the Vaccines' debut album "What did you expect from the Vaccines" on my ipod. This is a great album to run to. It weighs in at just over 30 minutes in total, which means that I get to listen to it in its entirety, and it has some varied songs from the uptempo "Norgaard" to the slower - and ridiculously catchy - "Wetsuit". 

I got really excited about this band when their debut single came out and I'm so pleased that their album is an absolute belter. For once the hype was worth it. "Wreckin' Bar (Ra Ra Ra)" has been an ever present on the running playlist and I've included it in a previous post, so I thought I'd put up this live version of "Wetsuit" for your musical enjoyment. It kind of reminds me of the Beach Boys, which is never a bad thing.


Anyway, back to the running and things are really hotting up this week. 
  • I've absolutely smashed my fundraising target this week (thanks to everyone who's sponsored me)
  • I've been over to Excel to pick up my running number (look out for 38836)
  • I've received my goodie bag - quite why the London Marathon needs an "official beer" I don't know, but I'm more than happy to accept the free can of London Pride they dish out along with a Mars Bar and a small can of deodorant
  • I've started my carb-loading (and am feeling pretty bloated) and tomorrow I'm off to Diabetes UK's pre-marathon pasta party. 
So, pretty much the only thing left to do now is to run those 26.2 miles through London town. People keep asking me if I'm nervous, but I'm genuinely not. I've no doubt that I'll feel nervous on Sunday morning as I make my way over to the start line in Greenwich, but at the moment I'm just very excited.


No comments:

Post a Comment