Monday 11 April 2011

Running in my Sunday Best

Day:         112
Distance: 6.33km/3.93 miles
Time:       32:54 secs
Calories:  521

So there was me thinking that I'd only manage the three runs this week.

We were visiting friends on Saturday and as we were staying over I enquired as to whether Stu fancied a run on the Sunday morning. He said he did, but as we had a number of beers to polish off still I didn't think there was much chance of bringing the weekly total up to four runs.

It was slightly surprising to find myself up at 8:30 the following morning pulling on an oversized Celtic shirt and a pair of long shorts which Stu presumably uses when he's decorating. It's fair to say that I wouldn't be winning any fashion prizes whilst doing this run. Luckily, I had a pair of trainers in the boot of my car so I didn't need to borrow any foot wear.

We set off around 8:50am and as Stu doesn't run as much as me he asked if he could set the pace. As I'm in my tapering period now I was more than happy for him to do this. I assumed that it would be a fairly easy pace, but Run Keeper shows that Stu unwittingly set the exact pace that I need to run at to complete the marathon in 3:40 minutes, which is 8:22 mins/mile. I wonder if he fancies joining me next week as a pace setter?

Our run took us from Stu's house and round Norman Park three times. I don't normally like running loops, but the route was blessedly free of hills and the chat as we were going round was good which, together with the bacon sandwich awaiting our return, all made for a very pleasant start to my Sunday.

Now, of course I'm into my final week of training and from everything I've read and been told this is a week when runners really take their foot off the gas, do a few light runs and start carb-loading in preparation for Sunday. Possibly the best bit of advice I've had has come from a colleague's partner who is a seasoned marathon runner:
In the last week it depends on how I feel but I tend to do as little as possible ... Stay horizontal on Saturday ... A glass of wine or a beer the night before won't do you any harm.
I intend to follow these pearls of wisdom to the letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment