Thursday 30 December 2010

Breaking in a new pair of trainers

Day:         Nine
Distance: 6.8 km
Time:       42:04 secs

Today I went for a run around my little corner of South London with my mate Jim. As Jim is training for a half marathon I suspect we'll be going out for a few more runs over the next few weeks and months.

This was my first run in the pair of trainers that I've bought specifically for running the marathon. I've had the same pair of trainers now for 2.5 years or so and they've loyally seen me through numerous 10km runs and one half marathon, so I am quite attached to them but I felt it was time to get a new pair and to wear them in properly before the marathon. After trying out a few different pairs in Sweatshop (ethically questionable name, sure, but a post-Christmas sale is not to be sniffed at in the "current economic climate") I opted for the New Balance 1064 and although it's very early days I was very impressed with them on this first run. They seemed like a very comfortable fit and, unlike others that I tried, they are very light. I'm no trainer expert, but surely those two attributes are pretty important?

Although the last few runs have been done with other people I haven't been listening to music at all, but I have been thinking about my running playlist some more. I received a few suggestions of songs to add to the list after I posted on the subject a while back and I also received some timely advice in the form of The XFM Top 1000 Songs of All Time. Leafing through this book after Christmas dinner I realised that I had some glaring omissions from my running playlist - "Suffragette City" by David Bowie, "Keep the car running" by Arcade Fire, a couple of tunes by the Buzzcocks and this work of lyrical dexterity from Dan le Sac Vs. Scroobius Pip.



No comments:

Post a Comment