Wednesday 22 December 2010

If you can't stand the Deep Heat ...

Day:         Three
Distance:  8km
Time:        44:44 secs (though I walked for the last two mins)

The second run of my training plan called for "45 mins off-road/hilly". I'm training in London, which presents a couple of difficulties for this kind of run. Firstly, there aren't any large parks/wooded areas in SE1 where I work, so any kind of off-road run is somewhat difficult. Secondly, there aren't too many hills in the area either unless you count Tower Hill, which I don't.

Despite my best intentions to follow my training plan to the letter I had to get innovative and sort out a different route instead, so I ran the Vauxhall Bridge Loop. If nothing else, it's the right kind of length.

This run was notable for two occurrences in particular, one mildly embarrassing the other slightly worrying. As I noted in a previous post, I like to run to music and today was no different. As I came over Vauxhall Bridge and started running along the South Bank The Libertines' "I get along" began playing. If you don't know this song I've attached the video for it below. This is a good song for running as it "angries up the blood" (to quote Grandpa Simpson), but the incessant chorus of "get along, get along, get along, get along" demands a spirited singalong. The quizzical looks from passersby suggest that my singalong (complete with air drums) was more spirited than intended.


The second occurrence of note was that towards the end of the run I felt a twinge in my left ankle/achilles area. Not wanting to do myself any mischief at this early stage of training I decided to walk the final stretch (about 2 mins) and then proceeded to slap the Deep Heat on liberally. As I haven't played football (or any sport for that matter) regularly for years, I'd forgotten just how hot that stuff is! Still, I'm hoping that rest + Deep Heat = no lasting problems, but I think I'll take it easy on my next run.

No comments:

Post a Comment