Monday 20 December 2010

Train in vain

Day:        One
Distance: 5.85 km
Time:       31:43 secs

Well, I'd been planning to start my official training plan today. Unfortunately, the "Arctic conditions", "travel chaos" and ensuing "misery" so beloved of tabloid journalists in need of a negative story at this time of year meant that my training was in trouble before it had even begun.

I had originally planned to run from home into work, but the pavements close to home would be best described as treacherous. With that idea out the window I thought I'd bring my running gear into work in the hope that I'd be able to get out for a run at some point. Surprisingly, the conditions in the centre of town weren't much better so I was doubtful as to whether I'd be able to start training today.

At lunchtime I decided that I'd give it a try. After all, my training plan only called for "30 mins easy". That's 30 minutes of running at an easy tempo. I failed on both counts. Firstly, the Lambeth Bridge Loop at lunchtime is difficult at the best of times (what with all the tourists), but throw in the snowy and icy conditions and a packed out German Market on the South Bank and this run is decidedly less 'easy'. Secondly, because of the aforementioned conditions my run took 31:43 instead of 30 mins. Admittedly, that one's not so much a fail as over-delivery in terms of time but that route would take less time on a non-snowy day when the German Market ist geschlossen.

So, my training for the London Marathon has now begun. One day down, 127 to go. I hope the weather improves at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment