Thursday 16 December 2010

On running playlists

Music is a huge part of my life. A recent trawl through my Facebook status updates from 2010 suggested that music and marmite are the two things I talk about most often. That seems like a pretty fair summary.

Listening to music whilst running is one of life's pleasures. The right song at the right time can make a real difference to a run. So, with this in mind, creating a great playlist for when I'm running seemed like a crucial part of my training plan. The playlist I have at the moment features Biffy Clyro, Rage Against the Machine, AC/DC, Blur, The Ramones amongst others. The problem is that, at 2 hours in length, my playlist is no longer 'fit for purpose'. It was perfect for a half marathon, but I now need something to carry me for a full marathon.

As it's now the week before I start my 'official' training plan it seems like a good time to consider what to do with my playlist.

I thought I'd begin by having a look online for some inspiration and the first thing I found was this Runners World article. Any playlist that starts with guff like "Pump It" by the Black Eyed Peas isn't even worth considering. Sure, they redeem themselves somewhat by suggesting "You shook me all night long" by AC/DC, but then they go and blow it completely by recommending "Livin' on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi  as a "booster" song that "personally pumps you up". Pump me up? It's more likely to wind me up.

After the Runners World debacle I visited the London Marathon website and found the Virgin London Marathon Runners Top 10 playlist. It's not as bad as the Runners World article, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I run to the sound of "Eye of the Tiger". They've also suggested a Black Eyed Peas song. How is this in anyway helpful?

The Marathon website also has famous athletes' playlists. Liz McColgan's is just horrible - two Daniel Merriweather songs is surely two Daniel Merriweather songs too many. Iwan Thomas's is okayish and I think I'll borrow "House of Jealous lovers" by the Rapture from him. Veronique Marot (who?) put together an interesting list with Nirvana and Radiohead featuring, but "All Apologies" off of In Utero is in no way a song to run to. The best of the lot is by someone called David Bedford and features The Who, The Kinks and Blur among others. Having read this I can't believe my playlist doesn't already include "My Generation" or "You really got me". I'll be rectifying this sorry state of affairs shortly.

I then turned to a Guardian article written by two marathon runners. It gets off to a good start:
Music is my constant companion when I run. It is there urging me forward when things get tough. It is there to put a smile on my face when the rain beats down and the wind steals my breath. And it is there to frame the sudden rushes of elation on those days when the blue skies and country views make me wonder why the whole world isn't outside running too. First comes a decent pair of shoes, and second comes a decent soundtrack
At last! A kindred spirit. His playlist is even pretty good and features RATM and Arctic Monkeys. He's mentioned some others that I'm less familiar with - Decemberists, Cold and the Mountain Goats - but seeing as how we're pretty much running soul mates I'm going to investigate his suggestions ...

The second writer includes the Jam's "Town called Malice" on her playlist, which is a good idea and another one I'm going to borrow. She ruins it though by including Bon Jovi and annoys me by getting the title of the Killer's "Human" wrong.

So, after visiting three sites I have a grand total of four songs to add to my playlist. Not a great success rate given that I reckon I'll need somewhere in the region of 5 hours' worth of music in total. Evidently, relying on the internet isn't an option, so I'm hoping that if anyone actually reads this they might suggest some songs or bands that are going to give me the boost I need when I really need it.

WANTED: Inspired suggestions for my running playlist. Bon Jovi need not apply!

No comments:

Post a Comment