Tuesday 14 December 2010

London (Marathon) Calling

What better way to celebrate turning 30 next year than putting myself through 26 miles 385 yards of physical pain and emotional torment? Well, I could have a party or organise the pub crawl to end all pub crawls, but that's going to have to wait until after 17th April 2011.


I'd always been sceptical about running a marathon. Obviously, it's an unbelievable achievement but much like scoring the winning goal in a Cup final, walking on the Moon or finding a cure for cancer it was an achievement that I could never realistically see adorning my CV. Over the last couple of years I've got into running and found, to my amazement, that I'm actually pretty good at it. I've now run numerous 10k races and I ran the Brentwood Half Marathon earlier this year so I now feel that I'm ready to tackle the aforementioned 26 miles 385 yards (or, for any European readers out there 42.195 kilometres).


Thanks should go to my employer, GfK NOP, for giving me a place in next year's London Marathon. I'll be running on behalf of Diabetes UK, who I hope to raise loads of money for. I'll be setting up a justgiving site in the New Year.


Much like marathons, I'd always been sceptical about writing a blog. I'm a self-confessed Luddite and have often wondered what people's motivations were in setting up blogs. My motivation is that I really want to document the progress that I make whilst training for the marathon and having a blog seemed like the best way to do it. This blog is intended to be an online diary that records my progress through my training plan right up to the big day. I'll also take the time to discuss such crucial elements of my training plan as the play list I'm developing to help keep me running on the day.


I'm not so vain as to suppose that many people, if any, will read this blog but in a way that's not the point. Much as I'd love people to read this and post their opinions I'll be happy to simply have a record of what I'm going to be doing over the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment