Thursday 3 March 2011

I face the horizon everywhere I go

Day:         74
Distance: 10.47km
Time:       56:00 secs
Calories:  806

It's unbelievably cold this week and the prospect of "60 mins steady" first thing in the morning is considerably less appealing than remaining tucked up in bed. That said, I've only done one run so far this week and that was just 30 minutes long, so I really do need to pull those trusty trainers on and brave the elements.

I step outside and, after a brief stretch, I set off at 6:35am. As usual, there are very few people out and about at this time and those that are tend to be fellow runners. Typically the best you get from most runners in London is a barely perceptible nod in your general direction, so I'm genuinely taken aback when one person I pass gives me a huge smile and a cheery hello. I wondered at first whether I knew him. I'm just not used to this and I fear that the greeting he received from me was considerably less warm.

Anyway, I'm very glad that I did manage to haul myself out of bed as the run went well and in completing it I can see that I have now covered a grand total of 470 kilometres throughout my marathon training so far. That means that once this weekend's long run is complete I'll have run more than 500 kilometres (or, 310 miles) in pursuit of the 2011 London Marathon. 

I wonder if there's a metric version of the Proclaimers somewhere in mainland Europe with a hit single entitled "500 kilometres" to their name - if there is you can be sure I'll be posting that video up at the weekend by way of celebration. In the meantime I'll make do by quoting some lyrics from a song which the running playlist spun during this morning's run. They seem appropriate both in terms of my impending 30th birthday and because of the marathon training:
"I've felt old before my time but now I keep the age away,
By burning up the miles and yeah by filling up my days"                                                                      ("The Road" by Frank Turner)

No comments:

Post a Comment