Tuesday 22 March 2011

Like a juggler running out of hands

Day:         92
Distance: 5.09km
Time:       34:45 secs
Calories:  391

Something I forgot to mention in yesterday's post was that for the last few miles of the Brentwood Half Marathon I was running with some discomfort in my left knee. It wasn't hurting enough to make me stop and it didn't affect my pace, but the pain was apparent. As a result, I thought I had better take it easy on Monday night with a gentle jog with Varoo.

As we set off the discomfort was again apparent and remained throughout the run. I thought that this jog might help to shake it off, but it would appear that wasn't the case. I'm now so close to running the marathon that I really, really don't want to pick up an injury so I'll be resting for a day and will see how I get on on Wednesday night.

In other running news, I'm due to do my last long run this weekend. I'm planning on re-running the 22 miles that I did the week before last (knee willing). The problem that I have is fitting it in. All of my long runs so far have been done on either Saturday or Sunday. This week presents some difficulties though as I'm out on Friday night and the next morning we're heading out early to celebrate a good friend's 40th birthday. Both of these social events will involve the consumption of far more alcohol than is recommended by UK Medical Chief Officers. As such, the likelihood of me getting up for the usual early morning run is even slimmer than Nick Clegg's hopes of winning Most Trustworthy Politician of the year 2011 award. So, I'm left with the less than appealing prospect of getting up at something like 5am on Friday in order to fit in a 3 hour run before work.

Up until now I've done pretty well fitting work, social life and marathon training in but, to quote Elvis Costello, on this occasion:
"I feel like a juggler running out of hands"
(Elvis Costello - "Welcome to the working week")

No comments:

Post a Comment