Saturday 19 March 2011

Ice Ages and Dinosaurs in Essex

Day:         90
Distance: 5.30km
Time:       30:20 secs
Calories:  437

We've returned to Essex, and what feels like the depths of Winter, for the weekend. I'm running the Brentwood Half Marathon tomorrow, so I thought I'd take the chance to go out for a gentle jog in the early morning sunshine. At 7:26am the cars and pavements are still covered in frost, I have to dodge two ice patches while running up Shenfield High Street and it feels as if my hand is frozen solid to my water bottle. 

I thought we were past all of this. I served my time running in the snow at Christmas, surely the weather should be better by now?

Temperatures aside, this gentle jog was just right for a pre-race run. Nothing too taxing (an average speed of 5:43 mins/km) but it's good to get out there and get the heart beating a little faster. 

Speaking of things that get your heart beating faster (how seamless was that transition to a new topic?), I've had the joy of rediscovering a band this week. It's such a great feeling when you discover a new band and, it turns out, you get a similar feeling upon rediscovering a band you hadn't thought of in years.

When I was a young teen in the '90s  my sister had a mix tape which had some great stuff from that time on it. One of the bands was Dinosaur Jr. and I remember really loving the song "Start Choppin" but for some reason they're a band that I never investigated further and over the years I kind of forgot about them. Until this week. Given my love for all things containing a healthy dose of distorted guitars, melody and soul and the fact that they're contemporaries of Nirvana and Pixies I'm kicking myself that I've been missing out on them for so long. Well, I'm pleased to say that mistake has been rectified now, so I thought I'd share the Spike Jonze directed video for "Feel the Pain" with you.




No comments:

Post a Comment